Friday, March 29, 2013

Organizing for the move

We get the keys on Monday & the big move is in one week!  We're getting so excited!  It's still a little daunting to look around & see how much work needs to be done in that time.  We started by prioritizing areas of the apartment so that we can pack as much as possible as soon as possible.  As previously mentioned, I began with the bookcases.  Those are now empty!


We're on to packing up the dining room & living closets, since we won't need the winter clothes & serving dishes in the next two weeks.  The most stressful part for me is having boxes everywhere - I hate feeling so disorganized!  Cassie is not impressed with the mess either.



I've always been a bit of a pack-rat & I hate to get rid of anything that "might" be useful later, but I'm using the move as motivation to get rid of anything that isn't essential.  This week I went through my closet & packed up four bags of clothes & shoes to donate to my church youth group's rummage sale.  In the office closet, I found a box that never got unpacked after the move from Baton Rouge.  That was in 2010.  No need to keep that stuff around!

As I pack a box, I label it with the room it will go into in the new house.  Of course, some boxes will end up with things from more than one room.  Those get labeled with the room associated with the majority of the contents.  This way, when we get to the house, the boxes can be sorted by anyone before they're unpacked!


In other news, I found this over on 7th House on the Left!


Greg & Ashley painted the inside of their front door to match the outside.  Doesn't the red just pop against the light grey walls?  We are now set on light grey for the living room walls after seeing this.  I think that our red sofa will look great against the walls & that the red dining room won't conflict at all!


3 comments:

  1. Oh man - we moved less than a year ago and we're going to have to move again in another year or two. I wish you the best of luck with all of your packing!! Man, sometimes it's just no fun. I do love, though, getting rid of all of the old junk that we don't need anymore - sometimes it's just nice to purge and moving is a great excuse to do that :)

    And light grey walls with a red sofa? Sounds like it's going to look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super exciting! I wonder how Cat and Cassie are going to react to the new house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prioritizing things that need to be boxed up is a good technique in having a successful pack up. This will help you unpack easily and avoid stress that leads to irritation. About the mess, it's normal when you are packing up because you are removing your stuff from where they used to be. This means that they could be everywhere around the house. However, the mess could be lessened by putting your things right into the box after grabbing them. Put all your boxes, once they are sealed with a packing tape, in one place.


    WorldPackagingCo.com

    ReplyDelete